What is GLOBALGAP Certification?
GLOBALGAP is an internationally recognized set of farm standards dedicated to Good Agricultural Practices (GAP). The requirements that are made on a worldwide level of agricultural and market gardening businesses in terms of food safety, shelf life and quality.
Through certification, producers demonstrate their adherence to GLOBAL G.A.P. Standards.
GLOBAL G.A.P. offers Producers one core product: GLOBAL Good Agricultural Practices (G.A.P) Certification which is available for 3 scopes of production: Crops, Livestock, Aquaculture.
Why GLOBALGAP ?
Through GLOBALGAP Certification, you can demonstrate your commitment to Good Agricultural Practice to your retailers & buyers and provide reassurance for consumers. In addition to this, we show our commitment to protect our scarce resources by the implementation of Good Agricultural Practices with a promise for a sustainable future.
For Indian farmers and exporters, Compliance to GLOBAL G.A.P is must for export of various fresh fruits and vegetables to European Countries.
Why is my buyer asking for GlobalGap certification
Flowchart for GLOBAL G.A.P Certification:
Option 1 (Individual Producer):
Option 2 (Globalgap -Producer Group) :
Common pitfalls for GLOBALGAP certification in India:
- Cultural practices of farmers in India and lack of knowlege.
- Frequent use of chemicals in India is a big challenge for us. We have to educate farmers on controlled and harmonized use of fertilizer and allowed pesticides according to GLOBALGAP Scheme.
- Specific geographic and cultural differences in India.
- Small Land holding and scattered land holding of farmers in India
- Limited Label Recommendations crops. E.g. various vegetables do not have label recommendations.
- Pre –Harvest intervals not mentioned on many Plant Protection Products.
- Cost for Implementation of GLOBAL G.A. P Standard on small farms.
GLOBALGAP Certification in India:
EUROCERT S A(Eurocert) is first Certification Body to certify Producer for GLOBAL Good Agricultural Practices in India in Year 2004. Since 2004 EUROCERT is certifying Individual and Producer Groups in increasing numbers.
In India, major share of Global Good Agricultural Practices certification is of Grapes producers followed by Mango, Pomegranate Producers.
Now a days demand of chain of Custody CoC Certification for various vegetables is increasing due to awareness created by various Government Departments, Certification bodies, GLOBAL G.A.P Seminars etc.
Eurocert does Globalgap certification for the following crops:
- Grapes Globalgap certificate
- Globalgap certificate for Pomegrante
- Mangoes Globalgap certificate
- Globalgap certificate Onion
- Globalgap certificate for Potato
GLOBALGAP ADD ON
GLOBAL G.A.P.+ Add-On offers producers and exporters a voluntary add-on modules to enhance the core product and adapt it better. In India since Fresh Fruits like Grapes, Pomegranates has major stake in GLOBAL G.A.P. Certification. GRASP and NURTURE modules can be taken as a option.
These Add – On modules are assessed along with GLOBAL G.A.P which gives added advantage of being cost effective.
It is a voluntary module. GRASP is developed to assess social practices on the farm. It addresses specific aspects of workers’ health, safety and welfare.
Considering social aspects, GLOBALGAP has developed GRASP add on module which can be assessed together with the GLOBALGood Agricultural Practices (GAP audit). The GRASP assessment is valid for one year. Its assessments are conducted annually.
GRASP helps producers establish a good social management system on their farms. It offers buyers added assurance. It helps protect one of the farm’s resources: people and soil.
BENEFITS OF GRASP:
- Improves your farm social management system.
- Reduces costs of fluctuation, accidents and breakdowns as it supports clear communication.
- It demonstrates your commitment to social responsibility.
- Global Good Agricultural Practices certification raises your standing among suppliers and buyers.
- It reduces your risk for social non-compliances.
It is add on developed by GLOBAL Good Agricultural Practice secreteriat. GRASP is demanded from producers supplying fresh fruit, vegetable and salad products to TESCO.
It assures buyers, that best agricultural practices are applied in the production of fresh fruits and vegetables.